The origins of Intelligent Growth Solutions
Henry Aykroyd, wishing to grow baby vegetables year round needed light and heat to do so.
In late 2012 he met Professor John Allen whose group at the Services Electronics Research Laboratory made the first practical visible light-emitting diode in 1962. He explained there was a revolution coming where plants would be grown economically under LED lights.
Henry, with a background in farming and food processing quickly saw that a new focus was needed to make the Professor’s vision a reality. The lighting companies thought lights, researchers thought plants and growers thought economics… the three were not connecting.
It was necessary to design everything from scratch around what the plants needed, automate the process and reduce costs.
The lighting companies were thinking about lights not plants
Henry Aykroyd – Founder and Director
A unique and powerful combination of skills and vision
- Serial Entrepreneur with over 25 years in the global enterprise technology sector
- Award-winning leader, having built, grown and sold a series of businesses in Europe, North America, Middle East, India, East Asia and ANZ
- Angel Investor with an excellent track record of generating above-market returns
- Deal leader, non-executive director and M&A board advisor with over 25 years in the global enterprise technology sector
- Experienced investor; former Venture Capitalist (Banque Paribas, TVM Capital)
- MBA, Northwestern University – Kellogg School of Management
Founder and Director
- Agri-entrepreneur with 30 years experience in large-scale farming in the UK, Eastern Europe and California
- Built and operated a number of agri-businesses including Howegarden, TrueBaby, TIO and The Organic Potato Company giving him extensive knowledge of the food supply chain
- MA in Economics from the University of Edinburgh and is a former member of the Young Presidents Organisation (“YPO”)
Founder and CTO
- A qualified electrical and controls engineer with 10 years experience in industrial automation, largely at Tornado
- Specialises in the integration between electrical control systems and warehouse management systems
- BEng Honours degree in electronic and computer engineering from Edinburgh Napier University
- Holds an IEng accreditation for the IMechE and IET
They are supported by a strong board with a broad range of complementary skills in engineering, licensing, marketing, and the financial sector.