Join our team
SUITABLE FOR JUNIOR THROUGH TO SENIOR DATA ENGINEER
BASED EDINBURGH / HYBRID FROM HOME
£35-65,000 PLUS BENEFITS
To apply for this role please send a tailored / concise CV and a short covering letter or case study examples highlighting why IGS and your core experience.
About the role
Have you ever wanted to work for a company doing something truly incredible, disruptive and working for the greater good of planet Earth? Well, here is your chance. Intelligent Growth Solutions (IGS) was founded in 2013 and has brought together decades of farming and engineering experience to create an Agritech business with a vision to revolutionise the indoor growing market. Employing over 220 staff, IGS is now in full scale up mode with an ambitious and aggressive recruitment plan to help fuel their commercial growth.
If you interested in changing the face of farming so that we can feed the world, we now need to recruit a Data Engineer who will help create and productionise data models, pipelines and analysis tools in an Azure cloud environment and to provide real time control and information for our market leading vertical farming solution. Reporting into the Head of Data, you would be joining a broad Data Engineering / Science function. This allows us to accommodate entry level candidates up to Senior Data Engineers.
Our technologies include:
- custom-built physical engineering solutions including robotics
- PLC control systems
- OPC-UA, IoT (wireless) comms
- A cloud-based (Azure) SaaS user interface (Angular)
- MS SQL Server, Cosmos, and native-cloud storage
- Dockerised .NET microservice architecture
- Dockerised python Data apps (pertinent for this role)
- Azure DevOps deployment (aiming for CI/CD soon)
Depending on your level of experience you will either take the lead or play a key contributor role to the responsibilities below:
- Work with Data Scientists to promote their models into production data solutions.
- Create new data-centric applications based on prototypes.
- Help create and maintain ETLs for data lake ingestion, leveraging appropriate technologies.
- Develop simple customer facing reporting tools, leveraging existing technologies – e.g. Tableau or PowerBI.
- Gather data from multiple sources including corporate MIS and products.
- Build simple tools to capture data directly from Crop Scientists – e.g. yield data – either coupled with the main application or as standalone tool.
- Work with Site Reliability Engineers to ensure that deployed infrastructure meets quality and safety standards.
- Participation in code reviews and promote good coding and testing practices.
You are ideally educated to degree calibre in a Data/Computer Science, Software/IT, Engineering or Maths discipline (Masters / PhD preferred). However other backgrounds with relevant industry experience are also encouraged to apply. You will have experience working with Python and SQL, some exposure to AI, ML, DL or similar analysis tools and experience in building production-ready data solutions. Experience of a Linux environment, ETL design, building AI / ML / DL, exposure to Computer Vision tools, UI testing and CI/CD principles will be a distinct advantage for senior level applicants.
This represents an incredible opportunity to “give something back” and be part of a culture that believes in genuine teamwork, sustaining excellence, values courageous honesty, wants people to feel good and enjoys seeing their people and the business win. An excellent base salary (£35-65,000 DOE) is complemented by a comprehensive benefits package (including 35 days leave, private health care and solid pension) complete with training and self development grants and flexible working solutions.
Bruce Hydes is now part of the IGS team working in-house part time please apply to him in the first instance.